Thursday, May 20, 2010

What does equality mean to me as a gay person?

I have been thinking a lot lately about what equality for gay people should include. I think that different people have their own ideas about what equality means to them, but I thought I would take a stab at explaining what equality means to me.

In order to define what equality means to me, it is necessary to first explain what it is not. Equality to me does not necessarily mean that I can enter into a state sponsored union with the partner of my choice, although it could include that. What I mean is that I would be just as happy with the government getting out of the marriage business altogether. In other words what I'm saying is that it is more important to me to be equal than to gain the same rights that heterosexual people have. That's not to say I don't think that equality couldn't be achieved that way. I'm just saying that to me that if we are truly honest with ourselves we should admit that it is heterosexual people that have special rights under current law in most states. To me equality for gay people means that gay people have the same rights and privileges as straight people. If that means that gays are allowed to marry so be it, but I think that some in the gay rights movement have overemphasized marriage as being the end all, and be all of gay rights. I just don't think that is the case.

At this point some of you are probably saying, then what do you think equality for gay people means? Now that I have got your attention, I will tell you. Equality to me means that I should be able to go anywhere in this country and express myself in the same ways that a straight person is able to. I shouldn't have to go to a special bar to be able to dance with someone of the same sex. I should be able to walk into any bar and if someone of the same sex is willing to dance with me it should be no different than if I as a white man was dancing with a black woman. Now, I realize that in this respect, there are still a lot of people who would have a problem with an interracial couple dancing, but hopefully you are beginning to see what my idea of equality is. Let me give you another example. Equality means that I should not have to worry about the possibility of my sexuality meaning that I could be denied employment or be fired because of it, anymore than race should be a factor in employment. This also includes employment in the armed services. Equality means that I should be able to express my affection for my partner in the same ways, and in the same places as deemed appropriate for straight couples. That is to say that if it's wrong for gay couples to hold hands in public then it should be wrong for straight couples as well, but if it's okay for straight couples, then it should be okay for gay couples as well.

I welcome your questions and comments about this blog post, and anything that you hear on my show. Feel free to post your comments her or email them to me at brandonkinneyshow@gmail.com. Thanks for your time, and thanks for listening to the Brandon Kinney Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment